Wine & Herb Chicken & Veggies
Do It Together Recipe
Matt picked up this recipe from the firehouse and since then this has become one of our favorites in our household. We'll usually cook it during the day before our 6PM workout so that when we get home it's ready to enjoy post-workout. This recipe definitely makes plenty and lasts us between 2 to 5 days depending on what else we've meal prepped.
You can easily make this meal lower calorie by using less olive oil -- Matt loves his olive oil!
Worth noting: this is also good with pasta (I use No Yolks egg noodles) or brown rice (I'm a big fan of Lundberg). Matt recommends wild rice. I usually meal prep a bunch of both egg noddles and rice and then put the Chicken & Veggies on top of either. I'll add just a touch of the marinade from the cast iron for something a little extra.
10 Chicken thighs or 6 halved chicken breasts
10 TBSP Olive Oil
5 TBSP Balsamic
1/2 Packet McCormick Garlic, Herb, & Wine Marinade
1 Yellow Onion, Diced
8 OZ Sliced Cremini mushrooms
8 OZ Sliced Portabello mushrooms
1 1/2 CUP halved cherry tomatoes
3 Chopped garlic cloves
1 CUP Spinach for garnish
1. Pre-heat oven to 420 degrees.
2. Add 1 tablespoon of Olive oil to cast iron skillet & start to heat the pan on high.
- we use this one from Target: Cast Iron Skillet in White
3. Mix chicken with 4 tablespoons of olive oil, 2 tablespoons of balsamic, & half a packet of McCormick Garlic, Herb, & Wine Marinade in large bowl.
4. Sear chicken in cast iron skillet - approximately 3 minutes on high for each side.
5. Dice and add 1 whole Yellow onion to bowl chicken was marinaded in. Then add mushrooms, tomatoes, garlic, 5 tablespoons of olive oil, and 3 tablespoons of balsamic. You can add more balsamic to taste.
6. Take chicken out of cast iron skillet and set aside on a plate or cutting board.
7. Turn stove to medium-high, then add veggie mix to cast iron skillet to cook. Stir for about 3 minutes while veggies heat up.
8. Make little pockets in veggie mix and add the chicken back in. Once the chicken has been put in the pockets of veggies, cover them with the remaining veggies. Cook for 5 more minutes.
9. Turn off the stove and put the cast iron skillet in the oven for 30 minutes. Stir chicken & veggies 15 minutes into cooking time.
10. Take cast iron skillet out of oven, let the chicken & veggies cool a bit, sprinkle with spinach, then serve & enjoy!